I really do love Thanksgiving. I love the weather with the crisp fall leaves crunching under my feet, I love smelling the wood burning from my neighbor’s fireplaces and I love what this holiday represents and means. We don’t have to buy anything on this holiday except maybe the food for dinner. We just get to rest in the warmth of our family, snuggled inside eating great food and sharing our time with loved ones.
I also love what Thanksgiving allows us to do. We get the chance to be thankful! It gives us a moment of time in the year where we can actually stop our normal day-to-day activities and reflect on how blessed we are. On all that God has done in our life. Even if we are in a crisis, we know from past experiences that God is with us and will comfort us.
Here are some tips to help you focus on all you are thankful for:
- As you are buying groceries for your meal and hopefully for those in need, thank God that you have a place where you can find food! There are many places on this earth that have never even heard of a grocery store.
- As you rush to the airport to pick up relatives or if you yourself are flying, thank God that we have such an excellent transportation system. Yes, we get delayed but there are many places on earth that feel lucky to have a small boat to get through the jungle river.
- As you place a call to a loved one or even have the chance to Skype, thank God that we have such excellent communication systems! I thank God each time I am able to see my wonderful daughters and precious grandbaby on Skype.
- As you turn up your thermostat when the weather gets colder or turn on the hot water for cooking and for bathing, thank God for a warm home and hot water. Billions on earth do not have these luxuries.
- If you have a family to spend this Thanksgiving with, remember to thank God for them! Even if you are around family that you have difficulties with, thank God for them. They are in your life for a reason.
- If you are going through a crisis, or you are alone or depressed, thank God that He is a God who is with you every second of every day! He will bring people into your life that will pray with you and help you.
- Thank God that you have a Bible, probably many. Think of all the billions of people who either have not even heard of our God and His Son Jesus Christ but also do not have the joy of owning a Bible!
Manna from Heaven
“It is good to give thanks to the Lord, and to sing praises to Thy name, O Most High; To declare Thy lovingkindness in the morning, and thy faithfulness by night.”
“Be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord; always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father.”
Note: I will not write a blog Thanksgiving week since I will be busy with my family. But know that “I thank my God in all my remembrance of you.” Phil. 1:3