I don’t think these types of campaigns please God. In fact, I’m sure of it. So what are we to do?
On March 30, 1863 – in the midst of the Civil War – Abraham Lincoln called for a national day of prayer and fasting, in which he addressed what he called the need for “our national reformation as a whole people.”
“We have grown in numbers, wealth and power as no other nation has ever grown. But we have forgotten God,” Lincoln said, adding that it was our duty “to humble ourselves before the offended Power, to confess our national sins and to pray for clemency and forgiveness…”
How can we as Americans in 2016 do any less? What should we do then?
- First, make sure you are right with God. Confess your sins and allow the Holy Spirit to fill you with God’s power and love. Revival in our country starts with one: One person repenting of sin and turning toward the Lord.
- Thank God that you are blessed to be a citizen of a democracy with the privilege to vote. Vote your conscience and respect how others vote, without judging
- Remember that God is sovereign! He puts up whom He will, takes down whom He will. We don’t need to fear – He is in control: “But it is God who judges; He brings one down, He exalts another.” Psalm 76:7
- Jesus said the world would know we are His followers by our love for one another. Paul told us to: “Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor and evil speaking to be put away from you, with all malice. And be kind to one another.” (Ephesians 4:32)
- And most important: the true enemy, as Paul wrote, is not with flesh and blood, but with powers, and principalities and rulers of darkness. Remember who the true enemy is and it’s not people.
- Pray. Pray daily for America, her leaders and your family and communities.
Please Lord, shine your light upon America. May we remember Who you are and that you have a wonderful plan for each one of us. Thank you for the love and mercy you have for everyone. May we catch a small glimpse of your power, your love, your mercy and your will. We pray you save America. Not that we deserve it, but just as Abraham prayed that You might find a few faithful men in Sodom, may you find the faithful in America and save us.
Manna from Heaven
“If My people who are called by My name humble themselves and pray, and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
Now My eyes shall be open and My ears attentive to the prayer offered in this place.” 2 Chronicles 7:14-15