“Order is Heaven’s first law,” wrote the poet Alexander Pope and though that statement isn’t scriptural, it is so true! In the context of our lives, maintaining a straighten clothes closet or a cleared kitchen counter may seem like a trivial accomplishment, but somehow it can have a grand effect on our level of happiness.
However, the fight against clutter and disorganization is a constant, never-ending battle. What is the best way to combat it? Here are some tips that may help!
There are two ways to approach this task of organizing your home.
- Take it room by room, shelf by shelf, and closet by closet as you follow your list.
- Or, clear out these areas whenever you have an odd moment.
Personally, I do both ways! Sometimes, I know that I will need a chunk of time to completely clear out my clothes closet. But, to keep clutter from coming back until I have a disaster, I have found that keeping everything in its place daily, as I have a few extra minutes, really works the best.
Think about all the ways this can work:
- As soon as you get the mail, go through it and sort it into the respective stacks: bills; letters and invitations to respond to; magazines; junk. That takes just a few minutes but your kitchen counters remain clear of paper, etc.
- When your kids come home from school, already have a plan in place for where their book packs and their coats should go. They don’t want to obey? Then just take away their snack or favorite toy! You are teaching them that everything needs to be in its place.
- My 5-Minute-Pick-Up Plan. Each morning before you head out and each evening before you head off to bed, put everything back into its place: TV remotes; loose shoes, toys or newspapers; laundry, etc. You will start the next day feeling much more “together”.
- Whenever you have extra time, such as waiting for your children to get ready for bed before story time, straighten out a drawer, a book shelf or their closet.
“For God is not a God of disorder but of peace.” I Corinthians 14:33
Our emotions can literally rule our lives if we let them. So, look for ways that can help you keep them in check. Do you feel jealous? Then give that emotion to God and turn the jealousy into gratefulness for all you do have. Do you feel stressed? Then look around you at what you can change, such as clearing out your home of anything not useful or beautiful. De-cluttering has been shown to cause a person to feel lighter, freer, and calmer.
For fewer colds this winter, consider a daily dose of healthy bacteria. A recent review of 10 studies found that people who consumed probiotics were about 40% less likely to catch at least one cold. Or if you do get a cold, probiotics will reduce your odds of needing an antibiotic to treat a bacterial infection that may sneak in with your cold. You can get these in a supplement, yogurt, or a fermented drink with plenty of good bacteria. (Mike Gleeson, Ph.D., of Loughborough University in England)
Reaching Out to Others – Local to Global
This is a new section for the blog! And one that you can write! Any type of community charity that needs promotion, feel free to send me the information and I will place it here. Even though this blog goes across the country, I will print any worthy cause and you can then forward it to others in your area.
Here is our first one:
Who: Amazon Outreach is a non-profit ministry. Boats travel along the Amazon River, ministering to the villagers with medical help as well as sharing the Gospel. (Amazon Outreach a 501c3 non-profit organization, www.amazonoutreach.org)
Event: Amazon Outreach’s first ever ladies event is scheduled for spring of 2012! Please mark your calendar for Friday, April 13th. You will not want to miss what we have planned for you!
The theme of this event is “Carry on for the Amazon!” We are hosting a luncheon where we will auction off new or gently used designer handbags. Your generosity in supporting this event will inspire the entire community to join in and help bring support for the needy children and adults in the remote villages along the Amazon River.
Cause: Be a part of bringing medical help, clean water, and sharing the Hope of Christ with the villagers along the Amazon River. 100% of the proceeds will go directly to the ministry of Amazon Outreach. Isn’t it amazing that a handbag could help bring fresh water to a village filled with children? Join us in our efforts to share the blessings God has given us with children who are in desperate need of a blessing. Their smiles are worth every effort it takes!
Date: Friday, April 13, 2012
Location: Stonebriar Country Club, 5050 Country Club Drive, Frisco, TX 75034